Property Damage & Disaster Restoration Blog: Long Island & New York City

Tis The Season: Christmas Tree Fires

Posted on Thu, Dec 04, 2008 @ 04:18 PM

Every year around the holidays, tragic stories hit the news media in New York related to Christmas trees that caught fire in a home or business. Taking simple precautions will help to prevent an unforeseen situation from occurring.

Preventing Christmas Tree Fires

Selecting a Tree
Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull back from the branches, and the needle should not break if the tree has been freshly cut. The trunk should be sticky to the touch. Old trees can be identified by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground. If many needles fall off, the tree has been cut too long, has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.

Caring for Your Tree
Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks. Be careful not to drop or flick cigarette ashes near a tree. Do not put your live tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.

Disposing of Your Tree
Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or woodburning stove. When the tree becomes dry, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.

Holiday Lights
Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up. Use only lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory.

Do Not Overload Electrical Outlets
Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires - they should not be warm to the touch. Do not leave holiday lights on unattended.

Holiday Decorations
Use only nonflammable decorations. All decorations should be nonflammable or flame-retardant and placed away from heat vents.

Never Put Wrapping Paper in a fireplace. It can result in a very large fire, throwing off dangerous sparks and embers and may result in a chimney fire.

Click here to view a Christmas Tree catch fire

Ensure working smoke alarms are installed on every level of your home, test them monthly and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times. Know when and how to call for help. And remember to practice your home escape plan.

Tags: 203(k) loan, property damage, fire restoration, floods, ny water damage company, puffbacks, restoration companies, water damage, water damage restoration, mold, black mold, puff-back, christmas tree fire, holiday fire prevention, advanced restoration, advanced restoration corporation, long island water damage, mold remediation, reconstruction, restoration, suffolk county restoration, water extraction, home repair, fire protection, smoke restoration, frozen pipes

Insurance Journal