The holidays are just around the corner, and that means families will be entertaining around their fireplaces.
Fire safety is a primary ingredient to enjoying the holiday season. Some firepalce tips include:
Installation & Use
- Check the fireplace to make sure it complies with the local building codes.
- Use protective devices like glass doors or a screen which stops sparks.
- Install a removable cap on the chimney.
- Avoid using flammable liquids or garbage to start a fire.
- Clean out all flammable materials near the fireplace.
- Use only seasoned hardwood and approved fire tools.
- Make sure the previous ashes are cleaned out before starting a fire.
- Use non-combustible containers to remove ashes and remove immediately from the home.
- Fireplaces require annual inspections and cleaning by a certified chimney sweep.
- Regular maintenance is needed to remove obstructions and creosote.
- Only close the damper when the fire has completely gone out.
- Never leave a fire burning unattended.