Property Damage & Disaster Restoration Blog: Long Island & New York City

It's Cold Out...Stay Warm & Be Safe!

Posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 @ 04:58 PM

Arctic air is expected to hit the New York Metro area by tomorrow, and is expected to last until Sunday. Many Homeowners will be using various heating sources to stay warm, including electric heaters and fireplaces. Fire safety is essential to your family and should be discussed with all members of your household.

Heating equipment is among the leading causes of home fires nationally and in New York State. Very often heating related fires are the result of a lack of maintenance or simple acts of carelessness. Following the guidelines below will help to ensure that you reduce the possibility of experiencing a heating related fire.

Fire tips from NY State's Office of Fire Prevention and Control include:

Fire Prevention
To prevent fires, keep furnishings and other combustibles 36 inches from all heating sources. A heating source too close to combustibles is the leading cause of fires due to home heating. Store matches and other fire starting appliances out of the reach of children. Fires started by children often have tragic results.

Follow Proper Maintenance
Proper maintenance and an annual inspection of heat pumps, furnaces, space heaters, wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and chimney connections by qualified specialists can prevent fires and save lives. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation, venting, fueling, maintenance and repair.

Review the owner's manual to make sure you remember the operating and safety features.

  • Space Heaters – When using portable heaters, do not place them where it is possible for small children or pets to fall against them or to receive a contact burn. Avoid the use of extension cords with electric heaters. Always turn off space heaters before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Fuel Burning Appliances – When taking a heater out of storage in the fall, install batteries and inspect the shut off mechanism and wick for proper operation. Fill the tank with fresh fuel. Let the heater cool down before refueling. Adding fuel to a hot heater can start a dangerous fire.
  • Wood Burning Appliances and Fireplaces – Do not burn trash in the wood stove or fireplace. Burn only well-seasoned hardwoods. Be sure the fire you build fits your fireplace or stove, don’t overload it. Be sure wood stoves are installed at least 36 inches away from the wall. Keep combustible materials well away from the fireplace, stove and chimney. Keep the area around them clean. Always use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks from leaving the fireplace and starting a fire. Never leave a fire unattended.
  • Chimneys - Creosote accumulation is the leading cause of chimney fires. A chimney that is dirty, blocked or is in disrepair can inhibit proper venting of smoke up the flue and can also cause a chimney fire. Nearly all residential fires originating in the chimney are preventable. An annual chimney inspection by a qualified chimney sweep can prevent fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Ashes – Keep wood stoves and fireplaces free of excess ash buildup. Excessive ash buildup prevents good circulation of air needed for combustion. When removing ashes, use a metal container with a tight-fitting cover. Always place ashes in an outside location away from structures. Ashes that seem cool may contain a smoldering charcoal that can start a fire.

Advanced Restoration is a full service property damage restoration company and is trained to respond to all aspects of fire, smoke damage and water damage that can occur after a fire. Call us at (800) 693-6263 for more information, or visit our website at www.AdvancedRestoration.com.

We are truly committed to Making Disaster Temporary and Restoration Permanent.

Tags: smoke alarm, preventing frozen pipes, property damage, fire restoration, puffbacks, water damage, structural drying, flooding, burn hazard, cold winter, advanced restoration, advanced restoration corporation, long island water damage, restoration, water extraction, emergency service, restoration company, storm damage, fire protection, smoke restoration, heating

Is Your Home Safe?

Posted on Wed, Nov 05, 2008 @ 09:44 AM

Protecting your family from Fire and Carbon Monoxide is something that everyone needs to be aware of to ensure the safety of family members, in the event of an emergency.

Installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors is an easy way to protect your home and family. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends one smoke alarm on every floor, in every sleeping area, and in every bedroom. In new construction, the smoke alarms must be AC powered and interconnected.

For additional coverage, it is recommended that you install a smoke alarm in all rooms, halls, storage areas, finished attics, and basements. Ensure there are no obstructions that could keep smoke from reaching smoke alarms.

Carbon Monoxide
A few days ago a family in Suffolk County, NY was exposed to carbon monoxide fumes. Installing carbon monoxide detectors is just as important as having smoke detectors in your home.

It is recommended to have a carbon monoxide alarm near sleeping areas, on every level of your home, and at least 15 feet away from your furnace.

Fire extinguishers should also be positioned on every level of your home.

Contact your local fire department for additional information.

Tags: disaster, 203(k) loan, smoke alarm, smoke detectors, fire restoration, floods, ny water damage company, puffbacks, restoration companies, water damage restoration, mold, black mold, puff-back, advanced restoration, advanced restoration corporation, long island water damage, mold remediation, reconstruction, restoration, suffolk county restoration, water extraction, home repair, fire protection, smoke restoration, frozen pipes

Insurance Journal