Property Damage & Disaster Restoration Blog: Long Island & New York City

Fire and Carbon Monoxide Alert

Posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2009 @ 05:49 PM

The Consumer Product Safety Commission Released Information Related to Fires and Carbon Monoxide Hazards With Home Heating...

Source: CPSC


NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEJanuary 28, 2009 Release #09-109
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
CPSC Warns of Deadly Fire and Carbon Monoxide Hazards with Winter Home Heating

WASHINGTON, D.C. - According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there have been more than 150 residential fires that resulted in more than 200 deaths since Thanksgiving. These statistics have led the USFA and fire chiefs to declare the holiday season and start of the new year as one of the deadliest in recent memory.

As families look for ways to save money in these tough economic times, the concern over additional fire deaths and carbon monoxide poisonings from alternative heating sources is heightened. The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to keep safety in mind when it comes to heating their homes this winter.

Home heating equipment is among the top causes of fires and CO poisonings. From 2003 through 2005, there was an annual average of 57,300 fires and 270 fire deaths associated with portable heaters, central heating systems, and fireplaces and chimneys. There were also 68 deaths, on average, from carbon monoxide poisoning each year associated with these products.

CPSC urges consumers to:
Schedule a professional inspection each year of all fuel-burning home heating systems, including furnaces, boilers, fireplaces, wood stoves, water heaters, chimneys, flues and vents.

Take precautions when using space heaters, fireplaces or other heating sources to help stay warm this winter.

Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in the home and check that the batteries are fresh and working.

2009 is just weeks old, yet there have already been dozens of deaths from fires in the home.

Reports of residential fire deaths in January include:
Eight people died including a mother, her boyfriend and her four sons age 6 months to 10 years old, in their Richland, New York home. There were no smoke alarms in the home.

A woman was killed in her Detroit home by a fire believed to have been caused by a space heater that was too close to a chair.

Three people, including 13- and 15-year-old sisters and their older male relative, died in their Oklahoma home. Space heaters and an electric stove were being used for heat.

CPSC urges consumers to follow these home heating safety tips:

Space heaters:
Place space heaters on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as a ceramic tile floor), not on rugs or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Keep the heater at least three feet from bedding, drapes, furniture and other flammable materials. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
To prevent the risk of fire, NEVER leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or place a space heater close to any sleeping person. Turn the heater off if you leave the area.

Never use gasoline in a kerosene space heater. Even small amounts of gasoline mixed with kerosene can increase the risk of a fire.

Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards and certified by a nationally-recognized testing laboratory. These heaters will have the most up-to-date safety features; older space heaters may not meet the newer safety standards. An unvented gas space heater that meets current safety standards will shut off if oxygen levels fall too low.

Do not use portable propane space heaters indoors or in any confined space unless they are specifically designed for indoor use. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper use.

Fireplaces:
Have flues and chimneys inspected for leakage and blockage by creosote or debris.
Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool.

An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.

Store fireplace ashes in a fire resistant container and cover it with a lid. Keep the container outdoors and away from combustibles.

Stoves and Ovens:
Never use electric or gas stoves to heat the home. They are not intended for that purpose and can cause fires and CO poisoning.

Stay Warm and Be Safe!

Advanced Restoration Corporation is a property damage/disaster restoration company that specializes in Fire and Smoke Restoration in the New York Metro/Long Island area. Call us at (800) 693-6263, or visit us on the web at www.AdvancedRestoration.com. We are committed to Making Disaster Temporary and Restoration Permanent.

Tags: disaster, smoke detectors, property damage, fire restoration, restoration companies, water damage restoration, nassau county restoration, advanced restoration, advanced restoration corporation, suffolk county restoration, emergency service, homeowner tips, restoration company, fire protection, cpsc recall, smoke restoration

Is Your Home Safe?

Posted on Wed, Nov 05, 2008 @ 09:44 AM

Protecting your family from Fire and Carbon Monoxide is something that everyone needs to be aware of to ensure the safety of family members, in the event of an emergency.

Installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors is an easy way to protect your home and family. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends one smoke alarm on every floor, in every sleeping area, and in every bedroom. In new construction, the smoke alarms must be AC powered and interconnected.

For additional coverage, it is recommended that you install a smoke alarm in all rooms, halls, storage areas, finished attics, and basements. Ensure there are no obstructions that could keep smoke from reaching smoke alarms.

Carbon Monoxide
A few days ago a family in Suffolk County, NY was exposed to carbon monoxide fumes. Installing carbon monoxide detectors is just as important as having smoke detectors in your home.

It is recommended to have a carbon monoxide alarm near sleeping areas, on every level of your home, and at least 15 feet away from your furnace.

Fire extinguishers should also be positioned on every level of your home.

Contact your local fire department for additional information.

Tags: disaster, 203(k) loan, smoke alarm, smoke detectors, fire restoration, floods, ny water damage company, puffbacks, restoration companies, water damage restoration, mold, black mold, puff-back, advanced restoration, advanced restoration corporation, long island water damage, mold remediation, reconstruction, restoration, suffolk county restoration, water extraction, home repair, fire protection, smoke restoration, frozen pipes

Insurance Journal